Skip to main content

#IWSG Set Fire to the Rain


Happy spring, writers! Join us as we vent and cheer at the monthly Insecure Writers Support Group, hosted by Alex J Cavanaugh.


Thank you to this month's co-hosts:


IWSG Day Question: 

When your writing life is a bit cloudy or filled with rain, what do you do to dig down and keep on writing?

This is a timely question for me because it feels like fog has rolled into my writing life. I haven't written since December of 2017. I'm not upset about it--I just don't have ideas for new stories whispering in my ear. So I'm not digging down deep for now, but that's okay with me.

Instead of writing, I've enjoyed hanging with my friends and family on the weekends. I visited one sister (along with my 4-month-old niece) in South Carolina in March, and I'll visit my other sister (and three nephews) in Chicago in April. 

I also found time to assemble Pinterest recipes for Easter, each with only 3 ingredients:



















I look forward to learning how you respond to the rain.

Comments

Natalie Aguirre said…
Because of work, family, my blog, etc., I too have gone through periods where I didn't write and then I lost the desire when my husband died. It has thankfully come back. I think your laid back approach is good, and it sounds like you've been doing some fun things. Who knows, maybe you'll find the seed of a story there.
I would eat those.
I've not written much lately either, but it's all right. We need to live a little as well.
Nicki Elson said…
Oh, those peanut butter eggs look yummy! Glad you're enjoying the break your muse is giving you - because you never know when she'll be bugging you again.
Olga Godim said…
Love your visual recipes. Look yummy!
Jennifer Lane said…
Natalie, I can't imagine doing much of anything, including creating worlds through writing, after your husband's death. That would flatten anyone. I'm glad you're back to writing.

Alex, here's to living a lot!

Hey, Bev! We shall see what that unpredictable muse chica has in store for me. ;-)

Thanks, Olga! The butterfinger eggs tasted better than the rice krispie treats.
Chemist Ken said…
When the muse isn't there, there's no point in writing. Some writers just say to gut through it, but if I tried that I'd end up with a bunch of words that would all be thrown away. Just keep letting your mind wander and eventually it will latch onto something. Good luck.
Tamara Narayan said…
Okay, now I'm hungry. Sounds like you are enjoying your break from writing, which is great. I haven't written as much as I'd like as late and it makes me feel terrible.